Saturday, April 16, 2011
Spring is the Ideal Time to Get the Chemicals Out of Your Home (and Your Body) As winter draws to a close and warm breezes coax the early spring flowers to brighten the landscape, people can be inspired to clean out their homes. They wash windows, throw out stuff that is cluttering their homes and welcome in the fresh air and sunshine.
Cleaning goes with spring because it’s a wonderful way to refresh our homes and our lives, but if we’re using toxic household cleaning products it can also be harmful to our health. Since World War II, we have developed over 80,000 chemicals that are used in cleaners, pesticides, cosmetics and other products many people use regularly in their home. Unfortunately, many of these chemicals are toxic and pollute the environment.
To verifY this, all you have to do is read the labels. If the product warning says “Poison or Danger,” it means that the product is highly toxic, which means ingesting as little as a few drops could be fatal. “Warning” means the product is only moderately toxic, but this still means that as little as a teaspoonful could kill you.